These are an adaptation of my Cinnamon Crumb Cakes. A little bit late for Valentines Day, but alas! Why stop celebrating?! 🙂 And they are SO luscious! Feel free to omit the chocolate chips if you are on a strict Autoimmune Protocol – and you can call them Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes. 🙂
Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
3 cups unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbs. vanilla and enough water to make 1/4 cup
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
a splash of lemon juice (necessary for the baking soda)
27-45 cherries (about 3-5 per cupcake) I used frozen, defrosted cherries
Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (optional)
1. place 3 cups of unsweetened coconut in your food processor. Process for 5 minutes.
2. Turn your machine off for 5 minutes to let it cool. This may not be necessary, but use your good judgement. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
3. Turn your machine back on until the coconut is liquid and makes a splashing noise. You could also just sub 1 cup of melted coconut cream concentrate/coconut manna/ground coconut at this point.
4. Add the maple syrup, vanilla/water, sea salt, baking soda, and lemon juice. Turn the machine on, scrape the sides, then turn it back on for a few seconds. It should turn into a thick batter. (You can just stir these together until it forms a thick batter if you subbed the already ground coconut.)
5. Place the batter in 9 lined cupcake cups (they must be lined or you won’t be able to get them out.)
6. Place a sprinkling of chocolate chips, then place 3-5 cherries, then sprinkle more chocolate chips.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes. (Picture above – half made with chocolate chips, half made without.) 🙂
8. They will be very tender when they come out of the oven, but will firm up as they cool. I recommend letting them cool right in the pan.
The finished product 🙂
This recipe was shared at Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable. 🙂