Nut and Grain Free Apple Crisp
I love apple crisp in the fall! Be sure to use organic apples as regular ones tend to have a lot of pesticide residue. I wouldn’t double this recipe if you are grinding the coconut in your food processor – it would be too much for the machine. There is a lot of topping, however, and you could sprinkle it over a larger amount of apples in a larger pan, or use it as a crumble on coffeecakes or any fruit crisp.
3 cups unsweetened (not low fat!!) coconut
OR 1 cup warmed coconut cream concentrate (not coconut cream)
1/2 cup raisins
4 pitted dates
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
6 cups chopped organic apples
1. If you are using the coconut, pour coconut into the bowl of an 11 cup food processor with the S blade.
2. Turn on for 5 minutes. (Set a timer.) After 5 minutes it will look like this:
3. Keep machine off for 5 minutes (you don’t want it to over heat.)
4. Turn on again for 5 minutes – it will look like this:
*If you are using Coconut Cream Concentrate – put into food processor and puree until it warms up a bit and looks like the above picture.
5.Add remaining ingredients except for apples. Puree until it comes together.
6. Put apples in 9×9″ square pan. Sprinkle topping on top. (I like my apple crisp heavy on the crumbs!)
7. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until the apples are soft. Cover with foil after about 15 or 20 minutes – it gets dark quickly. Enjoy!